The Midnight Express Podcast

Gothic Horror RPGs, the World of Darkness, White Wolf
Home Page FAQ Team Search
  Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies
http://midnightexpress.podbean.com/ Huge Discounts on your Favorite RPGs @ DriveThruRPG.com http://www.mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/newlogosml.jpg

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Golden Rule: Don't be a jerk!
Discussing Religion, Politics, Culture, topics on racism, sexism, and similar topics are allowed. However, trolling, using those topics to trash or bash other people, and being a jerk is not.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: V5 - info thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:40 am 
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone,

Pete and I discussed a few of the recent events for V5 in Episode 32 and I promised a thread for V5 news, information, and resources. As you find material, please do link through to it from this thread. In this way, we can help fans access material that allows for informed choices and good discussion of the system.

As an aside, I am neutral on this at the moment, so please don't interpret this as the 'pro-V5 space'. What I would ask, though, is that we have respectful and informed discussion. I have no problem whatsoever if people don't like the new Vampire.

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!

"First Fig"
from A Few Figs from Thistles (1920)

Post subject: Re: V5 - info thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:18 pm 
Newly Welcomed Member
Newly Welcomed Member

I noticed there were a LOT of play test games for V5 set for this year's Gen Con and I signed up out of curiosity. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I can't promise I'll be able to tell you what's NEW. I haven't played since 2nd edition, so if V5 includes changes used in 3rd or V20, it's still new to me. If anyone else is going to try it, please put your 2 cents in here, especially if you have experience with the more recent Vampire edition to compare. I'd be interested to hear how the versions compare.

When I was younger, I remember a lot of the games I played in seemed to ignore Vampire's rich setting and themes. I imagine this is common- kids skip straight to the KEWL POWERZ and stat up characters and creatures from their favorite media as antagonists, instead of actually playing the game as written. If the pre-Alpha play test doc is any indicator of what V5 will ultimately be, it's going to be a lot harder ignore the setting and theme now. At the moment, I like the possibility of the game's mechanics constantly reminding us that we are playing MONSTERS. My view may change if this means that I ultimately have no meaningful narrative control over my character. As an adult playing with adults now, I might not actually NEED the prodding to remind me what game I'm playing. Still, the hunger dice seem novel and it's an excuse to buy a brand new set of red dice. Who doesn't want that?

If random tables are going to be a thing in the new Vampire, I think there should be an option to tailor them to your group by having everyone at the table add options at session 0. The back of the book that cemented my love for the hobby says "A Storytelling Game of Personal Horror" and that's what I want in the newest edition. I haven't tried it and I still don't really know anything about V5, so it's still too soon for me to be having opinions. I can't help having some concerns about this, though.

I'm really curious about this one. I've picked up books for game lines I don't even intend to play because Ken Hite wrote them. Now, he's the lead on Vampire? This could be AMAZING. Or it could fall so far from the mark that I turn in my D10s for D6s and stick to AW hacks. I'm trying to be positive and optimistic, but these concepts are foreign to my nature. What are your feelings on V5? Until we have information, let's go with feelings! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:00 pm 
Neonate
Neonate

I'm going to be running some of those V5 sessions at GenCon, I'll let you know how that goes once I've done it. :-)

Please find more about the Inclusive Gaming Network @ http://www.keepontheheathlands.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:52 pm 
Harpy
Harpy

CurrentResident wrote:
If random tables are going to be a thing in the new Vampire, I think there should be an option to tailor them to your group by having everyone at the table add options at session 0.
This. 100%.

Especially the Clan-Weaknesses on the Compulsion-table set up a different idea of what a Clan is. I don't think Clans are or should be monoliths in terms of identity. But Clan-compulsions are all about burdening players with the stereotypes associated with the Clan they play. I think the relationship between a Clan and the individual vampire belonging to that Clan should be resolved by roleplaying status, tradition and etiquette within the campaign (some Clan-weaknesses are more oppressive than others, of course, but the reaction to those burdens should be individualistic rather than be mandated). Clans in VtM aren't like playbooks in an Apocalypse-World-game where you choose a playbook to play a certain type of character. The choice of a clan doesn't have to equal a very specific type of character and yet that's what these Clan-Compulsions are trying to do.

Other than that, I've been going back and forth on what to think about what I know about the game so far. At this point, I just feel like I need to see more. V5 is supposed to come out Winter 2018, so there's still some time...

CurrentResident wrote:
This could be AMAZING. Or it could fall so far from the mark that I turn in my D10s for D6s and stick to AW hacks.
Have you ever played Undying? It's a diceless AW-hack that me and my group really liked as a system for an Elder-game because it's a game about vampires living in the same place for a LONG time and building rivalries and alliances combined with the usual narrative freedom you get in AW-games.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ]