The Midnight Express Podcast

Gothic Horror RPGs, the World of Darkness, White Wolf
Home Page FAQ Team Search
  Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies
http://midnightexpress.podbean.com/ Huge Discounts on your Favorite RPGs @ DriveThruRPG.com http://www.mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/newlogosml.jpg

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:58 pm 
Admin
Admin

So, I wanted to throw this out to the community. I am planning on running a CWoD Play By Post. I am only looking to do for maybe 4 more players, as there are already 2 that are in, and another 2 that are maybes.

I'm not sure just yet where the actual game will take place yet. Sadly, because I can not get the Dice Roller code to function, it can not happen here. The game will involve Players from all over the globe, so that will not be an issue. The game itself will be a Halls of the Arcanum (and possibly a bit more) mortals game that deals with a bit of exploration of the WoD as a whole, a bit of world travel to investigate mysteries, and a bit of occult politics.

I want to use a bit of a group template in character creation, (which will use slightly altered, but mostly similar rules), and also to get player feedback on some ideas before we start.

For the PbP portion, what I am looking for is around 1 or 2 posts per day, most days of the week, (obviously holidays, week ends, and well, real life are exceptions), and I am looking to kick this off around mid to late May (as I will be on a mini-Deployment from mid April until then). What I am aiming for is to have the game be focused on the players, and not to be similar to a Chatroom game (where mostly the players just make things happen), but rather similar to a normal face-to-face game where things happen and everyone reacts, plans, acts, or RPs through it.

I'm still debating on an actual location, and I'm drifting towards New Orleans, Louisiana (US) as a home base, but that is not set in stone.

If you are interested, let me know. Or you if you have questions, or are unsure, by all means, ask.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:11 pm 
Neonate
Neonate

Sounds like an interesting idea.I'm willing to give it a try,if you will have me :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:51 am 
Support
Support

Perhaps we could use this Die Roller Instead?

http://rpgroller.com/wod/

the nice thing about it is it Posts publicly with a time stamp. I used to have a Perl based set of chat rooms with a Die Roller code that could also be set up on a private server if you have one Beckett and that way you can keep things public and log a history so no one can fudge the numbers they use in posts. If I can find that chat room code would you be interested? it's creator made it open source.

:rose:

I'll put something here eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 am 
Admin
Admin

Darling_Rose wrote:

the nice thing about it is it Posts publicly with a time stamp.

That's a good one - we use that in my online Mage games :).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:00 pm 
Admin
Admin

Darling_Rose wrote:

the nice thing about it is it Posts publicly with a time stamp. I used to have a Perl based set of chat rooms with a Die Roller code that could also be set up on a private server if you have one Beckett and that way you can keep things public and log a history so no one can fudge the numbers they use in posts. If I can find that chat room code would you be interested? it's creator made it open source.

Ill certainly give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:00 pm 
Admin
Admin

I'd like to start hearing about everyone's character ideas, and if you really want to, you could even post a character sheet here, (or email it). My plan is to, while I'm gone, start to delve into each of the characters and also come up with some ideas for the game, and then kick it off pretty soon after I get back. So, for the next 10ish days, please start getting your creative caps on.

I'm thinking that Darling Rose, Thebian, Nightmare, and another gent from the Onyx Path forums are in if they want, and I think we have decided pretty strongly on the cWoD mortals Halls of the Arcanum.

With that said, Numina are allowed, but lets keep it on the lower level side, and not required. If you really want something from another book, run it by me.

I'm going to say that Lores will be represented by Specialties, and I'm going to allow everyone to start off with 3 Specialties, similar to how Dark Ages: Vampire worked. They do not have to be in a trait that is 4 or higher, yu just pick something to be a Specialty, and you can buy more with XP. SO if you want something like Kindred Lore, it would be a Specialty for Academics, Occult, or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:33 am 
Support
Support

I'll poke at some notes and ideas, but right now I dunno if I'll be able to due to RL encroachment of an icky kind. Here's hoping, but right now it's not looking likely. I'm sorry. :sorry:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:46 am 
Admin
Admin

Darling_Rose wrote:
but right now I dunno if I'll be able to due to RL encroachment of an icky kind.

Now you have me curious. . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:36 pm 
Admin
Admin

I'm still up for this :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:34 am 
Admin
Admin

<Copied from the other thread>

Beckett wrote:

So, here is what I am thinking for actual character creation: Remember, we still have some time and I want everyone to focus on building a group template and character concepts before really delving into building a full character.

Attributes: 5/4/3 (with 1 extra dots that you can put anywhere, MAX = 4 dots)

Abilities: 12/9/5 (with 2 extra dots you can put anywhere, MAX = 3 dots)
(I’m going to use the Hunter’s Hunted 2 Abilities)
Alertness / Animal Ken / Academics
Athletics / Crafts / Computer
Awareness / Drive / Finance
Brawl / Etiquette / Investigation
Empathy / Firearms / Law
Expression / Larceny / Medicine
Intimidation / Melee / Occult
Leadership / Performance / Politics
Streetwise / Stealth / Science
Subterfuge / Survival / Technology
_______ / Enigmas / Linguistics

(Lore will be handled by Specialties and special rewards)

Specialties: 2 (Specialties grant 1 extra dice to related Dice Pools and also allow you to add a little bit of extra flavor to your character, can be purchased with XP, cost is current rating of the related Ability)

Backgrounds: 5 (MAX = 3 dots)
Available Backgrounds:

Allies
Contacts
Fame (mortal)
Influence
Library
Mentor
Resources
Retainers
(all other are case-by-case)
<After the game begins, I may allow a few more Backgrounds to “open up”, such as Armory, Base/Haven, Guide, Arcane, and similar things>

[spoiler=Group Background]Also, I wanted to point out that I will allow the communal background rules as the game progresses, that is to say, that everyone can contribute to a single group Background pool for a single Background. All individuals will have access to it at the rating total that everyone contributes to it.
So, lets say the group decides to pick Mentor, and all four players want to devote 1 point to the Group Background. That means all players can treat the Mentor as a 4 Dot Mentor, (or multiple lesser ones), but, the downside is that if said Mentor gets killed, everyone looses their invested dots.[/spoiler]

Freebie Points: Currently 0, we will get to this a bit later, as I do something a bit special.
Merits/Flaws: For now, none. Again, later.

Right now, I’m not sure if we should go with Humanity & Virtues or not. Hunter’s Hunted 2 presents rules for Arcanum Characters as does Halls of the Arcanum. HH2 is based off of V20, while HotA is based off of Mage, so for now, let me consider both, and I’m very interested on hearing your point of view on it.

Also, Numina, yes/no? This needs to be a group decision, and furthermore, I also need to know if you would like to, again as a group, start with the possibility of Numina, have the option to get it later, both, or not at all?

Please, keep in mind this, though, as you think about it. Will including Numina ruin the game for you? How about if you are the only character with it? How about if you are the only character that doesn’t get it? Does it matter?

MR. Gones WoD Character Sheets is a great way to find a character sheet, and if you use find an interactive one, and take a Screen shot, you can actually upload it as an image.

CWoD -> V20 -> Hunter Hunted 2 will probably work the best for this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:33 am 
Neonate
Neonate

That looks good for character building Beckett.I'll create my character this weekend.The concept thats been floating in my head is a that of a Librarian whose gateway into the World of Darkness was starting to see things that he had read about in occult books.I'll flesh out the concept a bit more when I get the chance of course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:17 pm 
Admin
Admin

I'm down to about a week now, so I really need to start hearing about character ideas.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:03 am 
Neonate
Neonate

Just need to finish up the sheet and I'll give it to you.My apologies,work has been keeping me real busy.After a week of thought I decided the character I want to play is a Librarian who is fascinated by symbolism and how often it shows up in occult writings.An example he might make is of Vampires and their inability to stand sunlight.Is it because they are Undead and the Sun is life giving?And does this same symbolism translate to fire?And how does some of the other aspects of Vampire mythology fit?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:28 pm 
Admin
Admin

Sorry - been on the road. Will get something to you in a day or so mate :)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:08 pm 
Admin
Admin

I am finally back, and I just wanted to see who is still interested in this. It doesn't look like there has been too much change since before I left, and so I'm not sure just how much everyone that said they where interested is really that into it. If not, I fully understand. Real Life comes first, and people are busy. But if you are still interested, let me know and we can begin to really get this going.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:45 am 
Admin
Admin

[+] super secret hidden stuff for Rose
Now that you know, you can't tell anyone else. . . Or you know, threaten certain action figures.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:49 am 
Support
Support

[+] Reply for Beckett
Beckett Action figure needs some touch ups. But don't worry, he'll look sooo pretty. :P

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:19 am 
Admin
Admin

Oh really. . . ! ! !

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 pm 
Admin
Admin

So I wanted to jot down a kind of pitch for the game, and see who is still interested in trying it out.

The game will be a general WoD "mortals" one with some heavy Halls of the Arcanum influences, leading the players into first joining the Arcanum as initiates and then even starting up their own branch of it.

Inspiration will be a bit from sources such as: The X-Files, Sanctuary, Supernatural, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Order, The Triangle, and a bit of Silent Hill.

I'm planning on defaulting to the V20 rules set with some modifications, but also importing from both W20 and M20 when I (or you) feel those rules work a little better.

Initially, the game will take place in New Orleans, though the plan later on is to travel the world and explore different mysteries.

Character creation is described above, and for now, the plan is to actually play the game here on this site, (open for anyone to view, but only players to join and play), with Dice Rolling, (mostly the honor system) being handled via another website and the results copy/pasted here when needed. <Link at the bottom of my post as well as the top of the page.>

The game itself will be a full chronicle, with "episodes" and scenes leading up to a larger overall plot, and will both involve a lot of investigation and also some personal horror (along the lines of the Darkness looking right back at you).

If you are interested, please go ahead and start posting your character sheet and some background, and we can start to talk about how to integrate you into the game and what sorts of thing you would like to experience and build towards.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:20 pm 
Admin
Admin

I know one character is interested in playing with some prophetic abilities, so I am okay with a bit of supernatural power, especially in the low-level sense that might develop. But the key here is that it's on the low-level side, and also needs to be tied in with your character and makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:51 pm 
Admin
Admin

Attachment:
Mortal Test Sheet.JPG
Mortal Test Sheet.JPG [ 148.7 KiB | Viewed 1287 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:56 pm 
Admin
Admin

Seems to work pretty well. I went to Mr. Gones V20 Mortals sheet and then just filled it out. After that, click the little tab at the top of the sheet to hide Highlighted Portions, and (with Windows), used Snip It Tool to just take a screen shot and saved it as a JPEG.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:04 am 
Support
Support

Hi, Had a couple of questions for you beckett.

So we have to use V20 definitions for our backgrounds stuff even though they're mortals and we only get 3 dots to spend on them? (Char sheet lists 5 dots for Backgrounds, but your rules from previous post are the guidelines I'm going by.)

Do we assume they all have at least 1 dot in resources and have a place to live in Newalins? Locals or are they moving in?

Do we go from the point the characters have been invited to this Arcanum-like group? or are they going to individually 'discovered'?

Are we going with virtues and Humanity in this? Your humanity rating on your char sheet seems to have skipped a dot.

Also how many points do we get to spend on virtue dots? Anything different than what the Sheet suggests?

With your sheet as an example it's hard to get a perspective of what points we can spend when there's no freebies.

Sorry if I'm being pestery.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:03 am 
Admin
Admin

When I get a little more time I will retype that character creation guidelines to make it more clear, but to answer a few of your questions, there will be Freebie Points, but it will come a bit later in character creation, as I was going to do something a little special and wanted to see the basic character layout first. Of course, that was also before I found out we could upload the actual character sheet and was thinking everyone would copy the text and just add numbers.

As for my character sheet, it was mostly a quickly made one I was trying to test out to see if it would load here. Don't go by it as an example.

I am unsure about Humanity and Virtues. I'm really debating still on if we should use them or not, and would love to hear what you all think.

Also, you actually get 5 dots for Backgrounds, but u can only put up to 3 dots in any individual one, and again, there will be Freebie Points later on, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:11 am 
Support
Support

Ok, I believe I have my sheet ready.

As for Virtues and whatnot, I'm not too familiar with their use in Vampire games, I wouldn't mind if there be a virtue Check is the situations called for it.

[img=http://s22.postimg.org/r9j0rkqxt/Malcolm_Sheet_1_03.gif]
pic upload

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:36 am 
Admin
Admin

So, in VtM, you are playing a creature that is no longer human. There are a lot of living urges that they just do not feel any more, but they also have this sort of inner demon called the Beast that pushes them towards some really dark actions when they loose control. The Beast is far more powerful, and far more present than any mortal instinct, urge, or drive, and it's willing to hurt and kill anyone to get what it wants/needs. But it's also like an animal, so the things that it wants are pretty simple, blood, safety, and to not be hurt. It's when others start to threaten it that it starts to kind of kick in, sort of like the Hulk, it just takes over, and does whatever needs done, from it's point of view, to satisfy itself. The Humanity trait is how much of the (wo)man that is left, how much you have managed to fight the Beast at this point. The higher the rating, the more you care about general mortal ethics. The less of a monster you have allowed yourself to become.

Virtues directly play into that, and just as the Beast introduces new urges, so too does the very concept of immortality. As a vampire, few things can truly kill or permanently harm you. Namely Sunlight, Flame, werewolves, and the like. At the same time, because you are no longer human, and because you can now exist forever, it becomes harder to still feel bad about some of the things you need to do, to feel pain or regret for the many things you now need to live with. Conscience is your capacity to still feel bad for doing bad things. For hurting people, or killing when there was another option, etc. . .
Self-Control is the direct way that you fight against both the Beast and also your more mundane urges. And finally Courage is your ability to stand strong against things that scare the crap out of you, such as a vampire being caught in a burning house. The Beast wants to survive, and doesn't care how, and it starts to try to take over, causing you to flee and doesn't care at all about your friends and family stuck there too.

Now, with all that in mind, if we did go with Humanity and Virtues, they would be much more tailored to a Halls of the Arcanum and Mortals game, so actions like just how far are you willing to go to get a rare book, (murder, theft, blackmail, etc. . .) would be things that can drop your Humanity, turning you cold and monstrous (in the cold, hard killer sense, not an actual monster). Conscience would mostly stay the same, a general rating as to how well you can handle some of the less ethical actions you might take or do you simply rationalize them away so that the ends justify the means. Self-Control would be important for maybe resisting magical influences and curses, or a great many powers that the denizens of the WoD might bring to bare against you, while Courage would be more along the lines of can you force you to stick your hand into the fire to get that necklace.

Again, I'm open to everyones preferences here, and I am honestly not decided.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:40 am 
Admin
Admin

Also, it seems that neither of the links work.

However, if you have it saved as a GIF, you can simply upload it here directly.

Underneath your post, look for a small tab "Upload Attachment".

Hit that and a new feature opens up. Just browse your device for the picture, and then hit the "Add the File" button.

The scree will reset, and you will now see another new option at the bottom. After "File Comment" (where you can add text about the picture), simply hit the "Place Inline" button, and you are good to go.

Or, actually<EDIT> , I found the issue. Use the URL code instead of the IMG one.

-->YOUR CHARACTER SHEET<--

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:30 pm 
Neonate
Neonate

Hi, I recently listened to the back catalogue of ME episodes and am intrigued. After reading up from relevant sourcebooks, might I be able to join this game or a similar one?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:13 am 
Support
Support

Aegisthus wrote:
Hi, I recently listened to the back catalogue of ME episodes and am intrigued. After reading up from relevant sourcebooks, might I be able to join this game or a similar one?

It seems to have stalled at least as a Play by Post version since Beckett's time is not his own. However I was debating on running an online version if interested still. Wendell and I cobbled together some PCs and were just getting started when his life required more time away from gaming. I'm still free to run since person on person scenes that might serve as a foundation for a bigger game or transfer to play by post when careers allow. Feel free to send me a private message and I'll send you my contact info.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:29 am 
Admin
Admin

Yes, unfortunately I wasn't really able to get the game going. I could probably jump in to a game, but being that I'm deploying in less than a week now, I honestly can not say just how often I could check in or even if I would be able to at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:49 am 
Neonate
Neonate

Thanks for the update. I'll continue to be interested, so please let me know, if the situation is conducive, if I might be able to join.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:27 am 
Support
Support

Aegisthus wrote:
Thanks for the update. I'll continue to be interested, so please let me know, if the situation is conducive, if I might be able to join.

Woot! Beckett is going to be busy still, but I'm steppign up to run some one on one scenes over an IM ot Google docs so that people can get a handle on character feel and maybe run through a few scenes before meeting each other as a team (if players schedules will allow) then maybe Beckett can take over when he has free time, or join as a player since he has wanted to be a player for a while and not an ST. Let me know what you think via PM and I'll give you my contact information.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:43 am 
Neonate
Neonate

I've got a question: what format is this game in? If you're running it offsite, where is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:45 am 
Support
Support

Ghost Orchestra:

Sorry for delay. I've been ill and working a lot of hours to make up for it.

The format is text based over Skype when players are available. If there's another IM client that players prefer I'll consider it. Google Groups seems to be the equivalent of Skype. Just drop me a private message if you'd like my Skype info. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:53 am 
Neonate
Neonate

All good DR. I'm not actually looking to get in on this game - never been a fan of the Arcanum - but I'd be interested in your methods so I can adapt them and run my own thing later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:19 am 
Support
Support

GhostOrchestra wrote:
All good DR. I'm not actually looking to get in on this game - never been a fan of the Arcanum - but I'd be interested in your methods so I can adapt them and run my own thing later.

Shoot me a note and we can talk game designs. I'd be happy to tell you about my methods.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:52 am 
Neonate
Neonate

Any chance I could get in on that conversation? I designing my first chronicle after a year gap, so rusty as hell and can use all the insight I can steal... erm... glean.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:50 am 
Support
Support

Holiday wrote:
Any chance I could get in on that conversation? I designing my first chronicle after a year gap, so rusty as hell and can use all the insight I can steal... erm... glean.

Sure, send me a Private message if you'd like my Skype info.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:25 pm 
Newly Welcomed Member
Newly Welcomed Member

Curious to know if this game is still ongoing? I'm not looking to dive right in, mind you. I'd love to listen in on maybe a session or two if that would be agreeable?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:15 am 
Support
Support

James Kel'dire wrote:
Curious to know if this game is still ongoing? I'm not looking to dive right in, mind you. I'd love to listen in on maybe a session or two if that would be agreeable?

Hi there. I was running this game by text based over Skype until the Holidays and RL took up my players time. We hadn't gotten much farther than a few Character establishing scenes. If you're interested in talking about it, send me a PM and I will give you my email or Skype name to discuss it. If you're looking to observe some text based gaming I would recommend www.unmodchat.com You have to make a log in, but that's easy to do. Once logged in, you can make an Out of character handle and join the unmod chat room to just watch people RP in World of Darkness. Just be polite and ask for permission if you're going to join any rooms with scenes in progress.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:34 pm 
Admin
Admin

BUMP

I'd like to discuss getting this going again/more, and see who is interested.

Off the top of my head, we have 3 forms we could use, (or even combined).

1.) A traditional Play-by-Post, either run here or another location
2.) A Chat/IM style game via something like Skype, Discord, other
3.) An open Chat via something like UnModChat, mentioned above.
4.) Any other ideas.

Anyone interested? Or in even trying to run a game that might be able to be tied into a larger arch?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:00 am 
Support
Support

I'm going to be setting up an information page for an Arcanum game and probably a brand new thread as soon as I can get back on my feet. My laptop has bit the dust and I'm in the process of finding a new one and changing jobs, so it may be a few weeks yet. However I will talk with anyone and answer questions regarding Arcanum game and discuss characters if you wish to contact me by Skype or google+. Just send me a private message and I'll send you my Skype information.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:28 pm 
Admin
Admin

I'm in.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]